A Good Name

As we read the Word we come up on men and women, who’ve become infamous for their faith. Some have been given names based on what God was about to do to and/or for his people.  Some examples of this are Ichabod, “the Glory has left Israel”-when the ark was taken to the Philistines; Isaac, “laughter”-because Sarah laughed when God told her she’d conceive; Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh, “God allowed me to forget my past troubles” and Ephraim, “God blessed me in the land of affliction.” Here are a few more: Joseph, “God shall add”, Eleazar, “God is my help”, and Abijah, “Friend of God.” Names were not happenstance; they were deliberate. Jesus-“Jehovah is become my salvation.” There were a lot of Jesus’s in the day. It was a common name; no doubt popular for that reason. God was, is and always will be salvation as long as this earth is in existence. 

Comments

Popular Posts