That'll Preach!!

The First Step in Creative Work is Data Mining/Idea Collecting.

My husband Chris is a preacher by passion, appointment and anointing. He is always listening to other preachers talk, preach, and teach. He is a voracious reader of books, ranging from; the Bible to Chess, to Literature and Politics. We often get together and listen to other speakers teach the Bible, comment on Chess, Music, today's  political issues. Sometimes he will hear a phrase or idea and say, "That'll preach!" If he has his little black book with him, he will jot down the idea. I have a similar system as well with my song writing.

I have a journal. If I cannot get my hands on it, I will write on a napkin, sticky note; whatever. With that phrase or quote I write down the reason for my interest so I am not lost, later, as to the reason for noting it in the first place. An additional note I also picked up: Write down the source as well, so you can go back to it and even refer someone else should they also be interested.

Then  have a place to keep them all. A notebook, file system. Whatever suits your "OCD-ness or lack thereof."

More in the next post...Cross Reference!




Comments

Popular Posts